Children of Madagascar
Over the past two years, Small Steps for Africa has funded projects with Children of Madagascar/Ankizy Gasy (www.childrenofmadagascar.com), a small organisation based in the village of Ambohidratimo, near the capital Antananarivo. They work in a number of areas, but their main aim is provide an education to poor, rural families, as well as helping with school and home building programmes and providing nutritional aid.
We have facilitated the sponsorship of over 20 children by generous supporters in the UK, as well as contributing to the construction of a new sixth form college, a breakfast programme and medical costs for children in the programme.
Akany Avoko Faravohitra
We have been supporting Akany Avoko Faravohitra home for vulnerable girls in Antananarivo, Madagascar since 2016. Renovated with international support, this home provides a safe haven for girls who can no longer stay with their own families, either because they have been orphaned or their home environment is no longer safe. The Malagasy courts place children at Akany AvokoFaravohitra, which has a capacity to house 50 girls.
Small Steps for Africa is supporting Akany Faravohitra in a number of ways and have funded the following:
- 20 beds and mattresses for the dormitories
- Paying the wages of three staff members
- Facilitating the sponsorship of 9 girls at the home, with the aim to expand to 20 by the end of 2018
- Renovating a classroom, via the Brian Baker Memorial Fund, set up in memory of Charlotte Baker's late father, who was a great supporter of SSFA's work. Donations in his memory will fund this vital work.
- Paying for the cooking equipment as part of a new cafe/restaurant to be staffed by girls at the home, as part of their further education