Children of Madagascar
For six years, Small Steps for Africa has worked in partnership with Ankizy Gasy, a small NGO based in the village of Ambohidratimo, to deliver a child sponsorship and home support programme.
We have facilitated the sponsorship of 50 children by generous supporters in the UK, as well as contributing to the construction of a new sixth form college, a breakfast programme and medical costs for children in the programme.
Akany Avoko Faravohitra
We have been supporting Akany Avoko Faravohitra home for vulnerable girls in Antananarivo, Madagascar since 2016. Renovated with international support, this home provides a safe haven for girls who can no longer stay with their own families, either because they have been orphaned or their home environment is no longer safe. The Malagasy courts place children at Akany Avoko Faravohitra, which has a capacity to house 50 girls.
Small Steps for Africa is supporting Akany Faravohitra in a number of ways and have funded the following:
- 20 beds and mattresses for the dormitories
- Paying the wages of three staff members
- Facilitating the sponsorship of 12 girls at the home, with the aim to expand to 20 by the end of 2019
- Renovating a classroom, via the Brian Baker Memorial Fund, set up in memory of Charlotte Baker's late father, who was a great supporter of SSFA's work.
- Paying for the cooking equipment as part of a new cafe/restaurant to be staffed by girls at the home, as part of their further education
- Working with Jason Jones Hairdressing in Lymington to build a new hairdressing training salon, due to open June 2019
- Providing washbags and pac-a-macs for girls at the home